Our Big Street Survey is an exciting free curriculum resource enabling pupils to investigate the area around their school and create a manifesto on how to make their streets safer and greener.
Pledge to take part in the Big Street Survey
After the success of Sustrans' Big Walk and Wheel we would love for your school to be involved in our next Big Street Survey. Please consider pledging to take part and we will contact you with further details.
How it works
Working both inside and outside the classroom, pupils explore what they like and dislike about their neighbourhood. They then develop their manifesto which can be used to lobby decision-makers and elected representatives at national and local level to make their changes happen.
- Explore the school area with pupils
- Record ideas on making streets greener and safer in classroom manifesto
- Organise forums to discuss your ideas with local press, experts and decision-makers.
Big Street Survey is a fun and engaging resource that raises the pupil’s voice and demonstrates what changes they want to see.
Designed by a Sustrans schools officer and qualified Geography teacher, it meets numerous curriculum objectives.
Start with the Quick Start Guides to learn how best to use the resource. We have two Quick Start Guides available.
Quick Start Guide
Be part of something big
Here are some examples of classroom manifestos submitted so far:
- Sunnydale presentation (PPT 9MB) - slideshow presentation from a Year 7
- Enjoying Escomb's streets (Word) - simple bullet list
We’d love to hear from you. If you have completed the Big Street Survey and have a manifesto for your school, please contact us on email@example.com
Big Street Survey resources
- Big Street Survey Lesson Plan for KS2 – step by step plan
- Big Street Survey Lesson Plan for KS2 (Welsh) - step by step plan
- Big Street Survey PowerPoint – use to accompany the lesson plan
- Pupil Booklet (English) - for pupils to use during field work and in the classroom. Print A4 size, fold to A5.
- Pupil Booklet (Irish)
- Street Trump Cards
- Street Trump Cards (Welsh)
- Letter template to Local Authority
- Big Street Survey Street Scenarios – role plays to enable pupils to view situations from different perspectives