Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Volunteers are at the heart of what we do.
They work with partners and other community groups to help get more people travelling sustainably in their area.
Working with expert staff from across the country and spending time with like-minded people, they generate support for the work we do.
What does a cycling route tester and photographer volunteer do?
As a cycling route tester and photographer you will need to:
- work with My Journey Workplaces Team.
- identify cycle commuter routes based on local knowledge, exploration and web research.
- re-create routes on Komoot platform.
- test cycling routes provided by others in the team, and adapt the chosen route to make it easier and safer.
- record information about the route.
- share this information with Sustrans officers.
What are we looking for?
For this role, you need to:
- have your own bike to use.
- have the cycling skills and confidence to explore and test routes.
- have a good knowledge of the local area and cycling and walking routes.
- have the ability to identify potential hazards for cyclists with varying needs, abilities and cycles.
- be able to use the route planning platform Komoot.com.
- be happy to use your own mobile phone to take photos of routes.
- ideally, be able to use your own technology to create videos of route (not essential).
- Half-day to attend induction and activity-specific training
- Three hours a week, fortnightly or monthly if preferred. Including a 10-mile ride.
We suggest starting with a 2-3 week trial, but ongoing for 3-6 months if agreed by both parties.
Training and support offered
- Access to an online learning platform.
- Option to join online networks.
- Support from your local staff supervisor and coordinator.
- Specific training for your role, including Komoot.com and identifying hazards.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: