Sustrans and Arup are working in partnership to better understand how we can make cycling in urban areas accessible and attractive for everyone. We want to inform policy and practice that better recognises and addresses the needs of all people who want to cycle.
This report summarises our initial findings from research undertaken across the UK. It focuses on the following demographic groups which are underrepresented in cycling:
- Older people (defined as aged 65 or over)
- Disabled people
- Women, disabled people and older people cycled less than the average population.
- There was significant interest from these groups to cycle more.
- Barriers to cycling are often accentuated amongst
women, disabled people and older people, along with other demographic groups that tend to cycle less.
Most solutions benefit women, disabled people and older people collectively. They fall under three complementary themes:
- Better Governance
- Improving Places
- Supporting People to Cycle