Are you a community group or individual who would like to walk or cycle more? Our Community Active Travel Programme is about encouraging people in communities across Belfast to walk and cycle more as part of everyday life.
We work with lots of people and groups from communities across Belfast. These range from youth groups to women’s & men’s groups, parents and toddlers, voluntary sector workers and the migrant community.
We can work with your group to design, plan and deliver a programme that will suit the individuals in your community or group.
What we offer
Our team will work with you to plan and deliver activities such as:
- Group led walks
- Exploring the city through group led cycles
- Cycle training for children and adults
- Training people in your group to be walk or ride leaders
- Bicycle maintenance sessions.
Brenda, from the WISPA NI group took part in an 8 week cycling programme
"Week by week we built up our time and miles and in the end, we were able to cycle the whole comber greenway – I never thought I would be able to do that. It is so great to get out in the fresh air and socialise with other people in the group."
Benefits of walking and cycling
Walking and cycling has many benefits. It can:
- Improve your fitness
- Boost your positive mental attitude and can help to relieve stress
- Be a sociable activity and time to interact with family and friends
- Be a low-cost way to travel around
- Be good for the environment
- Reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke
- Help improve your balance.
Don’t just take our word, here are some people that have taken part in our activities.
Watch the video below to find out more about the Belfast Community Active Travel programme:
Inner East Belfast Programmes
If you live in inner east Belfast and want to walk or cycle more, we currently offer the following programmes from the Active Travel Hub in CS Lewis Square:
- Better by Bike (every Wednesday 4 March – 8 April):
Better By Bike will help you on your journey to cycling confidence. It is a 6 week, progressive programme for adults, which will build on your cycling skills each week.
More information & book
- Go East Go West: Details coming soon
Get in touch
We can tailor a programme of activities to suit you or a community group.