Increasing the number of children who regularly walk, cycle or scoot to school has numerous benefits including:
- increased physical activity levels resulting in improved health and wellbeing
- reduced congestion and pollution around schools
- improved academic performance and attendance rates
- increased road safety awareness
- increased confidence, self-esteem, and independence for young people.
This initiative provides schools with a planned programme of activities throughout the year, both in and out of the classroom, as well as direct hands-on support from a dedicated Sustrans Active Travel Officer. The fundamental aim of the programme is providing schools with the skills and knowledge to get more children walking, cycling and scooting as their main mode of transport to school.
At the end of the 2017-18 school year, the number of children walking, cycling and scooting to school at participating schools increased from 34% to 44%. At the same time, the number of pupils being driven to school fell from 58% to 47%.
Read all about the Active School Travel Programme in your area below:
- Summer Newsletter – North Central
- Summer Newsletter – North East
- Summer Newsletter – North West
- Summer Newsletter – South Central
- Summer Newsletter – South East
- Summer Newsletter – South West
How your school can join the Active School Travel Programme
We are currently closed for recruitment and have allocated all our places for September 2019. We will open again for applications in January 2020, for the academic year beginning September 2020.
If you would like to express an interest in your school joining the AST programme in 2020, please email schoolsNI@sustrans.org.uk or call 028 9043 4569.
We will ensure that you receive an application pack when recruitment opens.