The Active School Travel Programme is an exciting initiative for schools who wish to see more of their pupils choosing an active and healthy journey to school.
Increasing the number of children who regularly walk, cycle or scoot to school has numerous benefits including:
- increased physical activity levels resulting in improved health and wellbeing
- reduced congestion and pollution around schools
- improved academic performance and attendance rates
- increased road safety awareness
- increased confidence, self-esteem, and independence for young people.
This initiative provides schools with a planned programme of activities throughout the year, both in and out of the classroom.
You'll also get direct hands-on support from a dedicated Sustrans Active Travel Officer.
The fundamental aim of the programme is to provide schools with the skills and knowledge to get more children walking, cycling and scooting as their main mode of transport to school.
At the end of the 2018-19 school year, the number of children walking, cycling and scooting to school at participating schools increased from 35% to 53%.
At the same time, the number of pupils being driven to school fell from 58% to 41%.
Download the spring Active School Travel Programme newsletter for your area:
Want to get in touch?
Please email us on schoolsNI@sustrans.org.uk or call 07824 627 674.