Increasing the number of children who regularly walk, cycle or scoot to school has numerous benefits including:
- increased physical activity levels resulting in improved health and wellbeing
- reduced congestion and pollution around schools
- improved academic performance and attendance rates
- increased road safety awareness
- increased confidence, self-esteem, and independence for young people.
This initiative provides schools with a planned programme of activities throughout the year, both in and out of the classroom, as well as direct hands-on support from a dedicated Sustrans Active Travel Officer. The fundamental aim of the programme is providing schools with the skills and knowledge to get more children walking, cycling and scooting as their main mode of transport to school.
At the end of the 2018-19 school year, the number of children walking, cycling and scooting to school at participating schools increased from 35% to 53%. At the same time, the number of pupils being driven to school fell from 58% to 41%.
Read all about the Active School Travel Programme in your area below:
- Summer Newsletter – North Central
- Summer Newsletter – North East
- Summer Newsletter – North West
- Summer Newsletter – South Central
- Summer Newsletter – South East
- Summer Newsletter – South West
How your school can join the Active School Travel Programme
We are now recruiting 60 new schools to join this exciting, free programme in the next academic year beginning in September 2020.
If you would like your school to join the Active School Travel Programme, please download the application form and supporting materials below. Alternatively, you can request the application pack by emailing schoolsNI@sustrans.org.uk or ringing 028 9043 4569.
Please be sure to return your application before the deadline of Wednesday, 8th April 2020.