Pool bikes can be a really great option to increase active travel in the workplace
Wokingham Borough Council wanted to ensure that it was setting a good example to local businesses when it came to travel behaviour.
To help the Council do this, we have run regular events, activities and incentives for staff to trial activities for elsewhere.
Activities have included:
- engaging with new staff at induction training
- delivering active travel breakfasts with a smoothie bike
- signing up to the Love 2 Ride cycling challenge
- led rides
- staff surveys
- free bike security marking and Dr Bike checks
- local travel information stalls to signpost staff to bus discounts and cycle routes.
Loan bikes for staff
In 2016, loan bikes were made available for staff to use for their commute, work journeys or lunch time leisure or exercise.
These were well received and often out on hire.
In 2019 we noticed a need for shorter term hires for business journeys. We implemented a project to make pool bikes available.
Pool bikes for work journeys
The pool bikes were to be easily accessible and to be booked at short notice. The aim of was to reduce short distance work mileage by car or van.
A range of bikes were identified to appeal to different audiences. Suitable equipment such as locks and helmets were added to the bikes too.
We also worked with the council’s IT team to set up a calendar and booking system for the bikes.