Once an LTN has been identified and prioritised, it has to be designed.
This entails proposing measures in the neighbourhood so that:
- there is no through route for private motorised vehicles
- all homes can be accessed by private vehicles
- new public space is created, activating the streets.
If done correctly, this will ensure:
- Longer car journeys use the strategic boundary roads
- the streets within the LTN become safe for people of all ages and abilities to walk and cycle independently
- streets return to be public spaces for people to socialise and play.
Figure 5a: Residential street transformed by an LTN