Sustrans’ Active Journeys programme works with schools across Wales to create a culture that makes it easier for children to walk, scoot or cycle.
We support school Champions and collaborate with Local Authority contacts to help improve routes and develop whole-school approaches to active travel. A range of engaging activities helps to build the confidence, enthusiasm and skills needed to help form new active travel habits. These activities and lessons support schools' efforts in achieving Eco-Schools and Healthy Schools awards as well as working towards Sustrans School Mark award which recognises excellence in sustainable travel.
The Active Journeys Programme offers:
- guidance and support to address specific travel issues around the school
- activities and lessons focused on active travel
- incentives for the school community that promote cycling, walking and scooting
- access to our activity guides, curriculum support materials and on-line challenges
- registration to Sustrans School Mark accreditation resource
- shadowing opportunities & active travel teacher training days to upskill staff
- complete annual travel surveys
- establish at least two Active Journeys Champions
- involve pupils in planning
- work towards providing good quality cycle and scooter storage
- attend teacher training opportunities
- actively promote active travel through assemblies and activities
- provide an opportunity for bikes & scooters to be safety checked regularly
- use Sustrans School Mark website to log progress and achieve accreditation.
Working with Sustrans in this way schools can expect the percentage of pupils who are usually driven to school to reduce by 10%.