Our Active Journeys programme is an exciting initiative for schools who wish to see more of their pupils choosing an active and healthy journey to school.
Increasing the number of children who regularly walk, cycle or scoot to school has numerous benefits including:
- increased physical activity levels resulting in improved health and wellbeing
- reduced congestion around schools
- improved relations with the local community
- improved academic performance and attendance rates
- increased road safety awareness
- increased confidence, self-esteem and independence for young people.
Our officers work with schools across Wales to create a culture where children choose to walk, scoot or cycle by supporting school leaders and school champions to improve routes to schools and develop whole-school approaches to active travel. A range of engaging activities maximise the confidence, enthusiasm and skills of parents and young people. These activities and lessons support schools' efforts in achieving Eco-Schools and Healthy Schools awards as well as working towards our own School Mark awards which recognise commitment and progress in active travel.
“ More pupils are now scooting, walking and cycling to school. The safe cycling and scooting lessons have been of fantastic benefit to our pupils. ”
Funded by the Welsh Government the three years of free officer support is worth £4,000.
The Active Journeys Programme offers:
- guidance and support for the school in planning and addressing specific travel issues at your school
- activities and lessons by our experts
- incentives to promote cycling, walking and scooting to the school community
- access to our activity guides, curriculum lessons and challenges
- access to the new online School Mark accreditation resource
- shadowing opportunities to upskill your staff
- free places on active travel teacher training days
What participating schools need to do:
- complete annual travel surveys
- establish at least two Active Journeys Champions
- involve pupils in planning
- work towards providing good quality cycle and scooter storage
- attend our teacher training opportunities
- actively promote active travel through assemblies and activities
- provide an opportunity for bikes to be safety checked regularly
- use the School Mark website to log progress and achieve your accreditation.
Working with us in this way schools can expect to reduce the percentage of pupils who are usually driven to school by over 10%.