Are you passionate about cycling, would like to inspire more people to get on their bikes and be more active? We're currently looking for positive and enthusiastic volunteers to help us run volunteer organised led rides in South Devon.
Our South Devon volunteers help maintain sections of National Cycle Network between Plymouth and Newton Abbot.They also organise and run a series of led rides for those who are new to cycling or returning to cycling after a break. The rides are a great way for local people to build up their cycling confidence, improve their health and meet new people. Each ride is staffed by volunteers who have been trained to lead them safely in accordance with the Sustrans led ride standard.
Why become a Sustrans Ride Leader?
As a Sustrans volunteer you will:
- receive free training to allow you to confidently support the led rides
- gain experience and enjoy the benefit of riding as a group
- increase your awareness of quieter cycle routes in the local area
- see first-hand how your support directly benefits people health, wellbeing and enjoyment of cycling
- meet new people in your local area.
What does a Sustrans Ride Leader do?
A Sustrans Ride Leader would:
- support the Ride Manager to lead the rides (normally run Sunday daytime and Wednesday evening
- support with planning a range of suitable routes in the local area
- follow the provided risk assessment and plan for the route
- ride the planned route ahead of the ride to familiarise yourself with the route
- support with signing in participants and carry out relevant checks before the ride sets off.
What we're looking for
We a looking for volunteers who:
- are confident and experienced cyclists
- have basic knowledge of bike maintenance (e.g.. undertake a safety check, repairing a puncture), though not essential
- are able to be patient and encouraging with participants
- are friendly, approachable and a good communicator
- enjoys riding as part of a group
- a half-day to attend a Sustrans volunteer induction
- a half-day Ride Leader assessment session
- one to two days per year to attend training events
- supporting other Sustrans volunteers in running the led rides throughout the Spring and Summer.
Training and support offered
Sustrans will provide you with the training, skills and tools you need to carry out this role.
All volunteers attend a half-day Sustrans Volunteers Essentials course.
We also offer activity-specific training, for example, we have a training course to enable you to safely lead or support a group ride.
All Sustrans Volunteer training courses are free, and you’ll have access to Sustrans guides and online support. You’ll have the chance to meet other volunteers at training and networking events and to get involved with other Sustrans activity in the area.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Adam Jukes at [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208.
Or to apply for this vacancy, please complete and return a volunteer application form and equal opportunities form.