Are you passionate about cycling and would like to help look after the National Cycle Network in your area?
We’re looking for volunteer rangers in the North Merseyside area to help maintain the Network and help keep routes in top condition.
The local group helps to look after the popular Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) route through Sefton, National route 62 and National route 810 which takes in the coast.
As a volunteer, you will assist with essential maintenance and checks on a stretch of National Cycle Network (NCN). You will be part of the friendly local Sustrans volunteer group maintaining the Network in the area. This role will ideally suit someone who lives locally.
You will receive support and direction from the local Group Co-ordinator and occasionally our Network Development Manager and Volunteer Co-ordinator and from the Trans Pennine Trail Office.
Summary of tasks
As a ranger you will be expected to carry out agreed tasks from your local volunteer group plan. Some tasks can be organised by the whole group.
Your tasks include:
- checking for missing or broken signs
- following the signing guidance
- carrying out general tidy ups and clearing back encroaching vegetation
- reporting any major issues to your Volunteer Co-ordinator
- attend group workdays and signing rides
- looking after any artwork or mileposts on your route.
As a volunteer you should be self-motivated, enthusiastic and be able to carry out the activities independently once directed.
Depending on the time you have available all we ask is regular trips on the Trail and report back any problems that you may find. This could be once a week or every two weeks or once a month it is up to you.
Training and support offered
- have the opportunity to attend your annual regional or national volunteer day which will include valuable Sustrans updates, networking opportunities with others and provide core skill training
- receive central communications to support you in your role and can join the online community to find support in other volunteers.
- receive support from the TPT office.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Abigail Pound, Sustrans North Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0161 923 6050.