Do you enjoy inspiring and motivating people to carry out a range of practical tasks and community events? We're currently seeking a volunteer to encourage and co-ordinate Sustrans volunteer activities in the West Wiltshire.
The West Wilts Cycleways group has about 10 members currently and most of the activities of the group include basic maintenance and signing on the National Cycle Network in and around the towns of Chippenham, Corsham, Trowbridge, Devizes and Bradford on Avon and cycle routes in-between.
Whether you enjoy being outdoors, are looking to meet new people or would like to look after walking and cycling routes in your community, this role will provide you with these opportunities. You’ll be able to play a key role in representing Sustrans in your community and receive on-going support from your Volunteer Coordinator and other Sustrans staff.
Summary of tasks
Group Coordinators are key to enabling Sustrans to have a presence in towns and villages across the UK. They help ensure that walking and cycling infrastructure, particularly local sections of the National Cycle Network are well maintained. They also ensure their volunteer group is motivated to support more people to walk and cycle in their community.
As the group co-ordinator you will be responsible for:
- putting together and regularly re-visiting a group plan with your group and your local volunteer co-ordinator.
- carrying out regular workdays such as signing and basic maintenance of the National Cycle Network in your area
- running a programme of events to be delegated and organised by the whole group to keep everyone informed of local activities they can join in with, including regular meetings, communications and socials
- co-ordinating the local volunteers including welcoming and inducting new volunteers, keeping track of the roles they are carrying out and letting us know of any inactive volunteers.
- keeping a simple record of group activities.
- recruiting new volunteers as needed, with the support of your Volunteer Coordinator.
- follow Sustrans guidance to ensure all activities are undertaken safely.
We're looking for an individuals who possess the following skills:
- excellent communicator
- good motivator, acting as a source of support and encouragement for others
- be able to identify skills and interests in the group and co-ordinate activities and responsibilities
- good attention to detail.
You will be required to uphold email communication with the group, which usually takes between one and two hours per week. Some activities may require you to be available during evenings and weekends. We appreciate that people have a number of other commitments and time constraints. Please get in touch if you wish to discuss how these could work around this volunteer opportunity.
Training and support offered
- A two and a half hour volunteer welcome session and a two hour Group Co-ordinator session.
- On-going support from the local Volunteer Co-ordinator/ Network Development Manager.
- Sustrans organises a biannual group co-ordinator conference, which you will be invited to attend. This event covers valuable updates, networking opportunities with other group co-ordinators and training in volunteer management skills.
- In addition we run an annual programme of regional and national volunteer days which will provide core skill training.
- You will receive central communications to support you in your role and can join our online community to find support from other Group Co-ordinators.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Adam Jukes, Volunteer Coordinator, on [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208