Do you enjoy inspiring and motivating people to carry out a range of tasks? We're currently seeking a motivated, organised and positive person for the role of Volunteer Group Co-ordinator to coordinate the work of our fantastic West Gloucestershire volunteer group.
The Group undertakes route maintenance activities on sections of National Cycle Network Routes 41 and 45 around Gloucester and Cheltenham. While this is the group’s current focus we would like to expand their work to support and promote behaviour change and community engagement work being undertaken by Sustrans in Cheltenham.
Sustrans supports over 4,000 volunteers across the UK to undertake a range of activities to encourage more people to choose to walk and cycle.
Our volunteers in Gloucestershire undertake maintenance to keep the National Cycle Network well- maintained and well signed.
If you have a passion for walking and cycling along with plenty of enthusiasm and organisational skills then we’d like to hear from you.
Summary of tasks
As the group co-ordinator you will be required to:
- put together and regularly re-visit a group plan with your group and your local Volunteer Co-ordinator or Network Development Manager
- carry out regular taskdays such as signing and basic maintenance of the National Cycle Network in your area. Transportation of tools to various taskdays may be required.
- run a programme of events to be delegated and organised by the whole group to keep everyone informed of local activities they can join in with, including regular meetings, communications and socials
- co-ordinate the local volunteers including welcoming and inducting new volunteers, keeping track of the roles they are carrying out and informing us of inactive volunteers
- keep a simple record of group activities to report back to us on a regular basis
- recruit new volunteers as needed, with the support of your Volunteer Co-ordinator.
- excellent communicator
- good motivator, acting as a source of support and encouragement for others
- be able to identify skills and interests in the group and co-ordinate activities and responsibilities.
You will be required to uphold email communication with the group, which usually takes between one and two hours per week. Other activities may require you to be available during evenings and weekends.
Training and support offered
- A two and a half hour volunteer welcome session and a two hour Group Co-ordinator session.
- On-going support from the local Volunteer Co-ordinator/ Network Development Manager.
- Sustrans organises a biannual group co-ordinator conference, which you will be invited to attend. This event covers valuable updates, networking opportunities with other group co-ordinators and training in volunteer management skills.
- In addition we run an annual programme of regional and national volunteer days which will provide core skill training.
- You will receive central communications to support you in your role and can join our online community to find support in other group co-ordinators.
Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
For more information about this role, please contact Adam Jukes, South Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208.
To apply for this vacancy, please complete and return a volunteer application form and equal opportunities form.