Do you love cycling or walking and would like to lead short local bike rides or walks to help people achieve a healthier, more sustainable lifestyle?
Sustrans is committed to helping people so that they choose to walk and cycle for more of their short, everyday journeys to school, the workplace and shops.
We are looking to recruit some additional volunteers to help us deliver led rides and walks around National Route 5 in south Birmingham.
We are currently working as part of the 'Move More Eat Well' project with schools in the Northfield, Cofton, Rubery and Longbridge areas. Check out the website for more information about this project.
The activities delivered and supported by volunteers will link in with these locations to help support children and families to walk or cycle to school and be active at weekends and during holidays. The following volunteer roles are currently available to suit a volunteer’s interests, skills and experience.
Summary of roles and tasks
- Ride Manager: Planning, Organising and Managing group rides.
- Ride Leader: Leading a ride; will need to know the planned route.
- Ride Assistant: Support the Ride Manager and Ride Leader, often by acting as a back marker on rides.
- Walk Leader: Planning, organising and leading a leisure walk.
The above roles will deliver walks and bike rides in the community from June 2018 onwards.
As the 'Move More Eat Well' project develops there may be opportunity to support our active travel officers working in schools on cycle skills, learn to ride and bike maintenance sessions.
We're looking for individuals who:
- are able to cycle safely and legally on local roads and paths
- have group riding experience desirable
- are punctual and reliable
- have clear communication skills
- committed to sustainable transport and cycling
- group management
- have bike maintenance skills, experience or qualifications desirable to support school bike maintenance sessions
Cycle ride leader and walk leader training will be provided.
Time commitment is flexible - 90 minutes per month minimum is preferred.
Attend Training: one day for Ride Manager/Leader training; half a day for Walk Leader training.
If possible we would like you to be available to support walks and rides along National Route 5 in south Birmingham on Sunday 24 June between 10am and 4pm.
Training and support offered
- Initial training and induction session for all Sustrans volunteers. Health and safety guidelines will be provided.
- Cycle Ride Manager, Ride Leader and Walk Leader appropriate related training will be provided in May or early June.
- Ongoing support from Sustrans’ Volunteer Co-ordinator.
- Part of Sustrans Ride Leadership team and local volunteer groups.
- In addition to this Sustrans holds a number of training and networking days throughout the year.
- You will receive ongoing feedback for the role and are able to join our online forum of volunteers where you can receive advice and support.
Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about the role please contact Tim Eagan, Sustrans Delivery Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0121 633 5500.