Do you enjoy inspiring and motivating people to carry out a range of practical tasks and community events? We're currently seeking a volunteer to encourage and co-ordinate Sustrans volunteer activities in North Cornwall with a particular focus on Bodmin.
The North Cornwall group has about 5 members currently and most of the activities of the group include basic maintenance and signing on the National Cycle Network in and around the towns of Bodmin, Wadebridge, Padstow, Newquay, Bude and cycle routes in between including the Camel Trail.
The Sustrans volunteer group co-ordinator will also work alongside our project officer supporting her work to engage the community with walking & cycling activities in Bodmin.
Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Whether you enjoy being outdoors, are looking to meet new people or would like to look after walking the cycling routes in your community, this role will provide you with these opportunities.
You’ll be able to play key role in representing Sustrans in your community and receive on-going support from your Volunteer Coordinator and other Sustrans staff.
What does a Sustrans group co-ordinator do?
Group co-ordinators are key to enabling Sustrans to have a presence in towns and villages across the UK. They help ensure that walking and cycling infrastructure, particularly local sections of the National Cycle Network are well maintained.
They also ensure their volunteer group is motivated to support more people to walk and cycle in their community.
As the group co-ordinator you will be responsible for:
- putting together and regularly re-visiting a group plan with your group and your local volunteer co-ordinator
- carrying out regular workdays such as signing and basic maintenance of the National Cycle Network in your area
- running a programme of events to be delegated and organised by the whole group to keep everyone informed of local activities they can join in with, including regular meetings, communications and socials
- co-ordinating the local volunteers including welcoming and inducting new volunteers, keeping track of the roles they are carrying out and letting us know of any inactive volunteers
- keeping a simple record of group activities
- recruiting new volunteers as needed, with the support of your Sustrans volunteer co-ordinator
- follow Sustrans guidance to ensure all activities are undertaken safely.
What we're looking for
We're looking for an individuals who possess the following skills:
- excellent communicator
- good motivator, acting as a source of support and encouragement for others
- be able to identify skills and interests in the group and co-ordinate activities and responsibilities
- good attention to detail.
You will be required to uphold email communication with the group, which usually takes between one and two hours per week. Some activities may require you to be available during evenings and weekends.
We appreciate that people have a number of other commitments and time constraints. Please get in touch if you wish to discuss how these could work around this volunteer opportunity.
Training and support offered
- A two and a half hour volunteer welcome session and a two hour group co-ordinator session.
- On-going support from the local Volunteer Co-ordinator and Network Development Manager.
- Sustrans organises a biannual group co-ordinator conference, which you will be invited to attend. This event covers valuable updates, networking opportunities with other group co-ordinators and training in volunteer management skills.
- In addition we run an annual programme of regional and national volunteer days which will provide core skill training.
- You will receive central communications to support you in your role and can join our online community to find support from other group co-ordinators.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Adam Jukes, South Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208.