Would you like to help make it easier for people to walk and cycle? We are looking for a group co-ordinator in the Barnsley area to bring together and motivate local volunteers and to co-ordinate the group’s activities.
Local volunteers get involved in signing and basic maintenance of the National Cycle Network Route 62 and National Route 67 in the Barnsley area which are mostly off-road and form part of the well-loved Trans Pennine Trail.
You will act as the main volunteer contact in the area and ensure information, knowledge and resources are shared with local volunteers and link in with the other Sustrans volunteer groups such as the West Barnsley (TPT) group, Rotherham (TPT) and Sheffield (TPT) groups.
You will receive support and direction from the Sustrans volunteer co-ordinator, Network development manager and the Trans Pennine Trail office.
Summary of tasks
Your role as a group co-ordinator will involve:
- keeping the group informed of local activities they can join in, including organising regular meetings, communications and socials
- keeping a simple record of activities to report back as often as required
- carry out a group plan with your group, focusing on activities the volunteers want to focus on in the future such as signing, basic maintenance of local Network routes, public rides, walks and events to promote active travel
- revisiting a group plan with your volunteer co-ordinator, Network development manager and/or local land manager
- attending the quarterly Trans Pennine Trail Central meeting.
To apply for this role you should be:
- an excellent communicator
- a good motivator, acting as support and encouragement for others
- able to identify skills and interest in the group and co-ordinate activities and responsibilities
- willing to work with a diverse range of people and is committed to the Sustrans ethos.
A day a month, which may include workdays, events, meetings and communication with the group. This may include evenings and weekends.
Training and support offered
- An initial training and induction session will be provided regionally.
- Sustrans organises a number of days throughout the year, which will offer valuable updates, networking opportunities with other volunteers and group co-ordinators, and training in relevant skills.
- You will receive central communications to support you in your role and can join the online community to find support in other group co-ordinators.
- Health and safety guidelines and simple risk assessments will be provided.
- You will also receive support from the Trans Pennine Trail office.
Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Abigail Pound, Sustrans North Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0161 923 6050.