Are you passionate about cycling and would like to use your knowledge of social media to promote walking and cycling routes in the Swindon area?
Volunteers from local group Friends of the Railway Path are working with Sustrans to encourage people to use and enjoy the Railway Path from Coate Water to Marlborough. Jointly, we organise an annual programme of task days and events covering simple maintenance, habitat improvements and public wildlife walks. Local volunteers are in need of help promoting their activity on social media.
Our Swindon based group are looking for someone to help them make better use of their online presence including their Facebook page and website. This will include promoting an annual programme aimed at:
- making habitat improvements at locations along the Path
- organising conservation workdays for local people and teams from local employers, which include hedge laying, tree management, grassland scything
- running events to encourage the local community to join in the project eg public wildlife walks and family forages
- conducting surveys of flora and fauna along the route.
They also work with other like-minded organisations such as the Marlborough Downs Space for Nature to help promote each other’s activities.
We're looking for someone who:
- has a knowledge of using social and online media
- is self-motivated to carry out tasks independently, once directed.
We're looking for someone who can commit:
- a half day initially to attend induction and activity specific training
- a few hours a week to undertake your role.
- one to two days per year to attend training events
- attend up to 4 group meetings per year (usually in the evening) to keep up-to-date with local developments and the group plan
- attend at least one annual training event, to keep up-to-date with best practice guidance on their activities.
- This is an ongoing role and is not generally suitable for short term volunteer placements.
Training and support offered
- Full Sustrans volunteer induction.
- On-going support from the Friends of the Railway Path co-ordinator, the Swindon Cycling Campaign’s media volunteer and from Sustrans staff.
- Sustrans organises a number of all-volunteer days throughout the year, which will offer valuable updates, networking opportunities with other volunteers and training in relevant skills.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Adam Jukes, South Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208.