Are you passionate about cycling and would like to help look after the National Cycle Network in your area? Do have an attention to detail and enjoy problem solving?
Sustrans are looking for a signing champion to co-ordinate signing activities in the Barnsley area and to ensure that routes are all signed clearly and consistently.
Sustrans Barnsley volunteer group helps to look after National route 62 and 67 which are part of the popular Trans Pennine Trail coast to coast route.
If you would like to help ensure the routes through Barnsley are easy to navigate for new cyclists and veterans alike, we want to hear from you.
You will receive support and direction from the local Group Co-ordinator and occasionally our Network Development Manager, Land Manager and Volunteer Co-ordinator and from the Trans Pennine Trail Office.
Summary of tasks
As a Signing Champion you will:
- develop a good knowledge of Sustrans volunteer signing policies and practices and keep up to date with changes
- advise the group co-ordinator and fellow rangers on best signing practice and ensure that the group carries out excellent signing
- develop links with the local council and the Trans Pennine Trail office
- organise signing rides with fellow rangers to sign new routes or replace damaged or missing signing, ensuring all signing is checked regularly.
To apply for this role you should be:
- a good communicator able to motivate others to follow best practice
- someone who takes care to get things right
- someone able to see the world through the eyes of others, in particular new users of a route.
A few hours a month.
Training and support offered
- Welcome induction session.
- Training in basic Sustrans Ranger signing.
- Guidance on the role of the Signing Champion and on Route Maintenance and Essential Signing.
- Advice and supplies of temporary signage.
- Sustrans organises a number of all-volunteer days throughout the year, which will offer valuable updates, networking opportunities with other volunteers, and training in relevant skills.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Abigail Pound, Sustrans North Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0161 923 6050.