Are you passionate about walking and cycling and would like to help people overcome barriers to active travel?
You will be volunteering for Sustrans as part of our partnership work with Travel Choices to enable people to make smarter travel choices for local journeys that involve using the car less. Sustrans work helps people become more active as a result of walking or cycling for more of their everyday journeys. This project is targeting the areas of Dunstable, Ampthill, Flitwick and Harlington.
We are based in the Travel Choices Hub, a shop unit in Ashton Square, Dunstable.
Opening hours: We are open 10am -4pm Wed - Saturday
How you can help
We need volunteers to help us with the day to day running of the Hub and to help promote our exciting project. During the week we spend most of our time dealing with general enquiries such as:
- Walking routes and local health walks
- Cycling routes and guided cycle rides
- Personal travel planning
- Bus routes and bus timetables
We also run events from the Hub on a regular basis, such as:
- Dr Bike sessions (fixing peoples bikes)
- Bike mechanic workshops (teaching people how to fix their own bikes)
- Travel planning sessions (teaching groups of students how to plan routes)
We are looking for people who
- Are confident and happy to talk to the general public
- Are friendly, enthusiastic and cheerful
- Like to use public transport / walk / cycle to get around locally
- Love their local area.
If you have any other skills, such as being able to fix bikes, or are particularly keen on walking, or cycling please let us know!
When we need your help
The Hub is open to the public from 10am to 4pm on Wednesday to Saturday.
You can help us out any time on these days; we often need particular help on Saturdays.
It would be great if you could commit to a couple of hours or half a day at a time, but we can be flexible please call us to discuss.
Training and support offered
- Training for the role & Sustrans induction
- Development of your skills in interacting with the public and offering active travel advice
- Support from team members
- Resources to help you advise the public, such as maps, posters, leaflets, and a desk computer for online travel planning
- Pre-agreed expenses will be paid for if you need to buy something for the Hub or do any travelling as part of your Hub work
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
Please speak to Andy Brocklehurst or any of our staff at the Hub on 01582 813 018 or just return your application direct to; Andy Brocklehurst, Travel Choices Hub, 1 Ashton Square, Dunstable LU6 3SN.
For more information about Sustrans and other Sustrans volunteering opportunities contact Maria Desborough, Sustrans Midlands and East Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 07909 962 142.