Are you looking for an opportunity to help look after the National Cycle Network in your local area?
We're currently looking for volunteers in the Bodmin/St Austell area, to support a programme of work to improve the quality of the signing on the Network. This follows our recent review of the National Cycle Network and launch of our Paths for Everyone report
Sustrans, as custodian of National Cycle Network, is working with local people to improve the network signage in Cornwall. We are looking for volunteers to support this work over the next 3-6 months. You will need to be free to attend a training session in St Austell on the afternoon of Friday 14th June.
Why become a Sustrans Network Signing Volunteer?
If you have a passion for active travel and would like get out and about in your local area to support our work we’d love to hear from you. With the opportunity to learn how to create navigable routes and meet likeminded people this role will enable you to contribute to making the National Cycle Network in Cornwall a better asset for everyone to enjoy.
What does a Sustrans Network Signing Volunteer do?
Working with other Cornwall based volunteers and with support from your Volunteer Coordinator you will undertake the following tasks:
- identify locations with identified signing issues using data supplied by Sustrans
- create a signing schedule of temporary signs required.
- install temporary signage to ensure the route is navigable.
- undertake any work, where practicable to fix broken or confusing signage
- undertake all work in line with Sustrans' signage training and guidance
- attend any local group signing rides
- attend group/project meetings/relevant training events and activities
- able and willing to act in accordance with Sustrans’ policies and procedures
- record volunteer activities on our dedicated website for Sustrans volunteers.
What we’re looking for
We're looking for individuals who are:
- self-motivated to carry out tasks independently
- practical and enjoy being outdoors
- work well within a team
- good attention to detail
- willingness and ability to travel along sections of the National Cycle Network in Cornwall
- good map reading skills
- good IT skills / ability to interpret online mapping
- able to attend Sustrans signing training in St Austell on Friday 14 June 2019.
- Minimum commitment period of 3 months.
- Half day initially to attend Sustrans induction and signing training.
- A few days a month to undertake signing activities in your signing project area.
There may be opportunities to continue volunteering for Sustrans over a longer period.
Training and support offered
- A full induction to Sustrans and the National Cycle Network.
- National Cycle Network signing training.
- Ongoing support from your Volunteer Co-ordinator.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Adam Jukes, Volunteer Coordinator, on [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208.