We’re on the lookout for new volunteers to join our friendly Frome area volunteer group and help look after the National Cycle Network in the area.
Come and be part of a sociable and dedicated group of people volunteering on the wonderful Frome Missing Link project and helping to maintain sections of National Route 24 that runs through Warminster and Frome.
The group are currently in need of a route maintenance volunteer based in Warminster who can cover the route in the area.
Sustrans supports 4,000 volunteers across the UK to undertake a range of activities to encourage more people to choose to walk and cycle.
Our volunteers in Frome undertake maintenance to keep the National Cycle Network well maintained and well signed and ready for the many walkers and cyclists who use it year-round.
If you have a passion for walking and cycling along with plenty of enthusiasm then we’d like to hear from you.
Summary of tasks
As a Route Maintenance Volunteer ranger you'll be expected to carry out agreed tasks from your local volunteer group plan. Some tasks may be organised by the whole group. Your tasks may include:
- check for missing or broken signs and replace following the signage guidance (once a month)
- carry out general tidy ups and clear back encroaching vegetation
- report any faults or major issues
- look after any artwork, mileposts and benches on the route
- attend any group workdays and signing rides
- attend group/project meetings/relevant training events and activities
- able and willing to act in accordance with Sustrans’ policies and procedures
- record volunteer activities on VolunteerNet.
We're looking for individuals who are:
- self-motivated to carry out tasks independently, once directed
- practical and enjoy being outdoors
- work well within a team
- live close to or walk/cycle regularly along the allocated section of route
- good attention to detail.
The following is an outline of the time commitment for this role:
- a half day initially to attend induction and activity specific training
- one to two days per year to attend training events
- monthly (minimum) - check their section of route
- attend up to 4 group meetings per year (usually in the evening) to keep up-to-date with local developments and the group plan
- attend at least one annual training event, to keep up-to-date with best practice guidance on their activities.
- volunteers may also be asked to support periodic workdays organised by the local group.
This is an ongoing role and is not generally suitable for short term volunteer placements.
Training and support offered
- Sustrans volunteer induction
- signing training
- opportunities to attend regional volunteer networking and training events.
- all agreed volunteer expenses paid.
Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Find out more about the role
For more information about this role please contact Adam Jukes, South Volunteer Co-ordinator on [email protected] or call 0117 915 0208.