Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Want to support your community?
Looking to spend more time outdoors?
Interested in meeting new people?
Volunteering for Sustrans will help you with all the above.
What does a Sustrans volunteer litter picker do?
Sustrans are the custodians of the National Cycle Network, which covers over 12,000 miles of the UK and is used by thousands of people each week.
We want to ensure the Network is a friendly and accessible way for people to get about, travel to work or relax with friends and family.
As a litter picker, you'll work with our Task Day Leader to help pick litter on National Cycle Network routes around North Birmingham, including Sutton Coldfield, Erdington and West Bromwich.
As a litter picker, we’d encourage you to:
- use the provided safety equipment to collect litter along the National Cycle Network
- ensure health and safety measures are followed
- be friendly and positively represent Sustrans when chatting to the public.
What we're looking for
We'd love it if you:
- had the time to help and attend activities
- responded to emails and calls to let us know about your availability
- were an advocate for active travel, or willing to learn more.
Flexible. Usually one session per month.
Training and support offered
- Online and spoken guidance on the use of tools and equipment
- Virtual training and the chance to access online content for other roles
- Access to webinars and discussions on active travel and Sustrans’ work
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Opportunity to grow in role with other ideas for supporting Sustrans
- Online community to support other volunteers
- Support and guidance from our lead volunteer and volunteer coordinator
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: