Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Volunteers are at the heart of what we do.
They work with partners and other community groups to help get more people travelling sustainably in their area.
Working with expert staff from across the country and spending time with like-minded people, they generate support for the work we do.
What does a cycling companion volunteer do?
As a cycling companion you will need to:
- discuss cycling commuter needs and concerns with your allocated commuters.
- plan a suitable cycle route on Komoot using a pre-determined starting and finishing point.
- be available for questions from commuters about the route, clothing, mechanical issues etc within a week on either side of their first cycle commute.
- ride with your commuters the first/second time they cycle their commute.
- complete a risk assessment and plan, and communicate to your supervisor.
What are we looking for?
We're looking for someone who:
- has their own bike to use
- is a confident and experienced cyclist
- has good knowledge of local cycle routes, clothing and bike mechanics
- has the ability to identify potential hazards
- is able to use route planning platform Komoot.com
- is patient and understanding of the needs and concerns of less experienced cyclists
- has a valid first aid qualification.
- Half-day to attend induction and activity-specific training.
- Approximately five to six hours per month.
We suggest starting with a one-month trial, but ongoing for 3-6 months if agreed by both parties.
Training and support offered
- Access to an online learning platform.
- Option to join online networks.
- Support from your local staff supervisor and coordinator.
- Specific training for your role, including Komoot.com, identifying hazards and rider leader.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: