We are looking to recruit some additional volunteers to help us deliver led rides and walks around National Route 5 in south Birmingham.
We are currently working as part of the 'Move More Eat Well' project with schools in the Northfield, Cofton, Rubery and Longbridge areas. Check out the website for more information about this project.
The activities delivered and supported by volunteers will link in with these locations to help support children and families to walk or cycle to school and be active at weekends and during holidays. The following volunteer roles are currently available to suit a volunteer’s interests, skills and experience.
Summary of roles and tasks
- Ride Manager: Planning, Organising and Managing group rides
- Ride Leader: Leading a ride; will need to know the planned route
- Ride Assistant: Support the Ride Manager and Ride Leader, often by acting as a back marker on rides
- Walk Leader: Planning, organising and leading a leisure walk
As the 'Move More Eat Well' project develops there may be opportunity to support our active travel officers working in schools on cycle skills, learn-to-ride and bike maintenance sessions.
We're looking for individuals who:
- are able to cycle safely and legally on local roads and paths
- have group riding experience
- are punctual and reliable
- have clear communication skills
- are committed to sustainable transport and cycling
- have group management skills
- have bike maintenance skills, experience or qualifications desirable to support school bike maintenance sessions
Cycle ride leader and walk leader training will be provided.
Time commitment is flexible - 90 minutes per month minimum is preferred.
Attend Training: one day for Ride Manager/Leader training; half a day for Walk Leader training.
Training and support offered
- Initial training and induction session for all Sustrans volunteers. Health and safety guidelines will be provided
- Cycle Ride Manager, Ride Leader and Walk Leader appropriate related training will be provided
- Ongoing support from Sustrans’ Volunteer Coordinator
- Part of Sustrans Ride Leadership team and local volunteer groups
- In addition to this Sustrans holds a number of training and networking days throughout the year
- You will receive ongoing feedback for the role and are able to join our online forum of volunteers where you can receive advice and support
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: