Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Our volunteers are what make Sustrans special. They look after the National Cycle Network and support others to be more active.
They help people discover the joys of cycling by hosting led rides in their area. They teach children to ride a bike safely. And they run promotional stalls at local events.
Whatever the activity, Sustrans volunteers are making a real difference in their communities.
As a Sustrans volunteer, you’ll have access to resources and equipment to allow you to connect with people about sustainable travel.
What does a bike ride leader volunteer do?
We’re looking for individuals who can help our staff and volunteers by:
- supporting the ride manager by leading the rides
- helping to plan suitable routes in the local area
- following the provided risk assessment and plan for the group ride
- supporting the ride team participants to have a fun bike ride.
What we're looking for
We are looking for cyclists who:
- are confident cycling on greenways and quiet roads
- are able to be patient and encouraging with participants
- are friendly, approachable and a good communicator
- enjoy riding as part of a group, preferable but not essential.
We're looking for someone who can help with eight or more rides a year.
Training and support offered
- One half-day to attend an induction session.
- One day mandatory ride manager training and a refresher check every six months.
- One to two days per year to attend training events.
- The training and tools you need for this role will be provided.
- Online Sustrans training platform.
- Networking events.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: