Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Our volunteers are what make Sustrans special. They look after the National Cycle Network and support others to be more active.
They help people discover the joys of cycling by hosting led rides in their area. They teach children to ride a bike safely. And they run promotional stalls at local events.
Whatever the activity, Sustrans volunteers are making a real difference in their communities.
As a Sustrans volunteer, you’ll have access to resources and equipment to allow you to connect with people about sustainable travel.
A staff supervisor will also be available to help you develop your skills and abilities.
What does a Sustrans volunteer bike mechanic do?
We are looking for people to help maintain bikes in community groups and at Dr Bike maintenance sessions.
We’re looking for individuals who can help our staff and volunteers by:
- carrying out bike checks
- doing basic bike maintenance
- filling out bike health check forms
- support staff at Dr Bike sessions.
What we're looking for
- Experienced and confident in basic bike maintenance.
- Enthusiastic about sustainable travel.
- Good communicator and people skills.
- Able to cycle and preferably get about by cycling/ on foot or public transport.
A bike mechanic qualification or accreditation would be desirable but is not essential.
A minimum of two hours per week, up to a day per month.
Training and support offered
- Initial training and induction sessions.
- Networking opportunities with other volunteers.
- Regular communications to support you in your role.
- Direct contact with the volunteer coordinator in Sustrans’ Belfast office.
- Health and safety guidelines and simple risk assessments.
- Sustrans newsletters to keep you informed about Sustrans’ work.
- Your expenses will be reimbursed when agreed in advance.
- Tools will be provided.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: