Why become a bike club helper volunteer?
We want this role to be fun. This is an opportunity to develop skills in coaching and cycle maintenance, working with local children and teamwork.
You will be working as part of a small team of friendly volunteers.
What does a Sustrans volunteer bike club helper do?
You will help to set up and deliver some of the weekly bike skills sessions. The sessions are held outdoors on the school grounds.
The one-hour sessions will be fun, and will aim to enhance the children's enjoyment of riding a bike and increase their cycling confidence and ability. Some of the children you work with may have additional needs.
You will help to ensure that cycles, helmets and kit are safe and in working order. This will include ad hoc cycle maintenance during the sessions.
What we're looking for
We're looking for someone who is:
- an excellent communicator
- a good motivator
- inspiring to children
- enthusiastic, patient, kind and has a sense of fun
- able to ride a bike confidently
- competent at basic bike maintenance.
We welcome applicants with a wide range of skills but above all, we're looking for enthusiasm and commitment.
We anticipate that this will take up to two hours a week during term time. You'll be on a rota with other helpers.
Training and support offered
- An initial training and induction session will be provided regionally.
- Networking opportunities with other volunteers.
- You will receive central communications to support you in your role.
- Health and safety guidelines and simple risk assessments will be provided.
- You will receive training, support and direction from the Sustrans volunteer coordinator.
- Tools and equipment will be provided.
- We will cover essential expenses that have been agreed with the Sustrans manager in advance.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practices.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: