We work with employers and business hubs in Wokingham Borough to encourage employees to change to an active walking or cycling commute.
Active travel brings big benefits to individuals, businesses and the community so we provide information, guidance and support that people often need to change their wish into reality.
Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
There are lots of benefits to volunteering with Sustrans:
- use existing skills and experience to make a positive impact on another person’s health and wellbeing
- develop new skills and discover new talents doing practical tasks.
What does a Sustrans workplace volunteer do?
We need friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to support our events at workplaces and business hubs that encourage employees to walk or cycle their commute.
You could be setting up a stall, talking to people about active travel or signing them up to behaviour-changing challenges, organising a loan bike or showing-off local cycle routes.
What we're looking for
We welcome people with a wide range of skills but above all enthusiasm and commitment.
For this particular role we are looking for people who can tick these boxes:
- people-focused and comfortable talking to people and encouraging them to change their travel routines.
- practical to help set up stalls and move equipment.
- mobile so you can support our events throughout the Borough from Earley to Finchampstead, Arborfield to Wokingham.
- reliable and punctual as you’ll be an essential member of our team.
- Walk and/or cycle everyday journeys so you understand the challenges and benefits of active travel.
You will be helping out at an event once a month. This will take 3-4 hours plus time to complete our online Activity Report. There will be plenty of chances to help out at other promotions and activities if you wish.
Training and support offered
- You’ll receive our volunteer handbook and do our basic Sustrans volunteer online training.
- Our project officer will provide specific training for the events as well as ongoing advice and support.
- Join the online community to find support from other volunteers throughout the UK.
- Come along to Sustrans volunteer meet-ups to network, get updates and training.
- Go to our volunteer website for information and resources including ideas on how to get more people walking and cycling.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: