Summary of activities
As a ranger you will be expected to carry out agreed tasks from your local volunteer group plan.
Your tasks include:
- checking for missing or broken signs
- following the signing guidance
- carrying out general tidy ups and clearing back encroaching vegetation
- reporting any major issues to your Volunteer Co-ordinator
- reporting issues with the trail to the TPT Office
- attend group workdays and signing rides
- looking after any artwork or mileposts on your route
- habitat management to improve the routes for wildlife.
As a volunteer you should be self-motivated, enthusiastic and be able to carry out the activities independently once directed.
The following is an outline of the time commitment for this role:
- a half day initially to attend induction and activity specific training
- one to two days per year to attend training events
- monthly (minimum) - check your section of route
- attend up to 4 group meetings per year (usually in the evening) to keep up-to-date with local developments and the group plan
- volunteers may also be asked to support periodic workdays organised by the local group.
This is an ongoing role and is not generally suitable for short term volunteer placements.
Training and support offered
- Sustrans volunteer induction
- signing training
- opportunities to attend regional volunteer networking and training events.
- all agreed volunteer expenses paid
- receive central communications to support you in your role
- support from the Trans Pennine Trail office.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: