Summary of tasks
As a volunteer ranger you'll be expected to carry out agreed tasks from your local volunteer group plan. Some tasks may be organised by the whole group. Your tasks may include any of the following:
- inspect your route and any Sustrans land holdings
- check for missing or broken signs and fit temporary signs as per the signing guidance
- attend group workdays and signing rides
- carry out general tidy ups and clear back overgrowing vegetation as per the health and safety guidance
- look after any artwork or mileposts on your route
- report any major issues to your volunteer coordinator
- We welcome supporters with a wide range of skills but above all enthusiasm and commitment.
- We are looking for people to help our volunteer group maintain the cycle path, encourage biodiversity, check the signs and monitor the number of users of our section of track.
- Self-motivated to carry out tasks independently once directed.
- Work well within a team.
- Live close to or travel regularly along your allocated section of route by sustainable transport.
- Communication skills.
Training and support offered
- An initial training and induction session will be provided regionally.
- In addition, Sustrans organises a number of days throughout the year, which will offer valuable updates, networking opportunities with other volunteers, and training in relevant skills.
- You will also receive regular communications to support you in your role and can join the online community to find support from other Rangers.
- Health and safety guidelines and simple risk assessments will be provided.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: