Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Our volunteers are what make Sustrans special. They look after the National Cycle Network and support others to be more active.
Whatever the activity, Sustrans volunteers are making a real difference in their communities.
This is a great opportunity to take part in a practical project that will develop your understanding of our Paths for Everyone work.
What does a Sustrans signage volunteer do?
With support from Sustrans staff you will undertake the following tasks:
- working in pairs to audit an allocated section of route to be removed or reclassified
- identify locations where signing needs to be amended
- record required changes to signage on-site using a survey accessed through your smartphone
- order required materials to undertake the signing changes identified
- undertake any work in pairs, to amend signage where safe and practicable
- undertake all work in line with Sustrans' R&R signage training and guidance
- act in accordance with Sustrans’ policies and procedures
- record volunteer activities.
What we're looking for
We’re looking for people who:
- are practical and enjoy being outdoors
- are willing to work with a fellow volunteer when auditing and amending signage
- have access to a smartphone and the ability to download the Survey 123 app
- are self-motivated to carry out tasks independently
- have good attention to detail
- have good navigation skills
- possess good IT skills and the ability to interpret online mapping.
Initial training by e-learning course. This takes about 3-4 hours.
We are looking for volunteers to support this work over the next 3-6 months.
Training and support offered
- Online re-signing project training and guidance.
- Remote meeting with Sustrans staff to allocate route and to discuss local signing issues.
- On-going support from Sustrans staff.
- Access to Sustrans online learning platform.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: