Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
As a schools volunteer, you will:
- make a difference in the health and wellbeing of young people
- help reduce congestion and pollution around schools
- be active, meet new people and give something back to your community
- receive free training and support
- gain experience in planning and running events.
What does a Sustrans school volunteer do?
As a schools volunteer you will ensure the safety and wellbeing of all involved in the temporary road closure. Other activities include:
- you will close and reopen the road safely, positioning signs and cones according to official guidelines. You will divert through traffic and guide drivers needing access if necessary
- you will run through a prepared questionnaire with parents, residents and road users to get their views on the temporary road closure
- you’ll talk to children, motorists, local residents and answer people’s questions about the road closure.
What we're looking for
We are looking for people who are:
- passionate about active travel
- excellent communicators with children, local residents and motorists
- enthusiastic and friendly
- punctual and reliable.
We're looking for someone to help with two temporary road closures every week from early September to mid-October.
The operating times will be approximately 30-60 minutes in the morning and afternoon, between 8-10 am and 2-4 pm.
Training and support offered
Sustrans will provide you with the training, skills and tools you need to carry out this role.
You will also be supervised and supported by a local Sustrans project officer.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: