Help us get the next generation cycling, scooting and walking to encourage an active and fun lifestyle! If you are passionate about walking or cycling and want to help with practical activities and events, we are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to inspire school children and communities to help make a difference.
Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
As a Schools Volunteer, you will:
- Make a difference to the health and wellbeing of young people
- Help reduce congestion and pollution around schools
- Be active, meet new people and give something back to your community
- Receive free training and support
Gain experience planning and running events
What does a Sustrans school volunteer do?
As a Schools Volunteer you’ll be supporting Sustrans staff to run a range of fun and exciting activities to raise awareness of the benefits of active travel. For example you may:
- Run an after-school Bike Club
- Support a ‘Ditch the Stabilisers’ session
- Arrange activities such as ‘Bling your Bike’, Bike Breakfasts or Smoothie Bike sessions
- Help out at a local Bike Games
- Give a talk to a class, or arrange for someone else to give a talk
- Produce and hand out promotional materials
- Support or lead rides, following Sustrans’ guidance and training
What we're looking for
- We are looking for people who are:
- passionate about active travel and willing to travel by bike or on foot to school events
- excellent communicators
- good motivators, acting as a source of support and encouragement for young people & school staff
- good with children
Other desirable skills are experience of:
- leading bike rides
- bike maintenance
We are looking for someone who can help run two or more activities per school term as a morning, afternoon or after-school (up to 5:30pm) session.
Training and support offered
Sustrans will provide you with the training, skills and tools you need to carry out this role.
All volunteers have access to online training including our Sustrans Essential course. You will receive activity-specific training from our Schools Officer and be able to attend Sustrans Volunteer training course to support your volunteering.
You’ll have access to Sustrans guides and online support.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: