Sustrans Active Schools Travel Programme aims to help children and young people become more active through taking part in cycling and walking activities. You would be volunteering alongside a dedicated Schools Officer in Greater Belfast schools, supporting activities for children such as learn to cycle, playground cycle skills, led bike rides, led walks, bike maintenance and much more!
Any of our volunteer roles can be combined together according to a volunteer’s interests.
Why become a Sustrans Volunteer?
What could be better than helping children to ride their bike without stabilisers for the first time?
We offer an induction and training package for volunteers to develop your confidence in working alongside our officers in schools. We also provide regular support and opportunities to socialise with other Sustrans volunteers.
You’ll also receive Sustrans newsletters to keep you informed about Sustrans’ work and your expenses will be reimbursed when agreed in advance.
What does a Schools Volunteer do?
You will help our Schools Officer to deliver cycling and walking-related activities in Greater Belfast schools. Activities could include:
- playground cycle/scooter sessions
- led walks
- cycle training
- bike maintenance sessions
- assisting with travel surveys & entering data online from school travel surveys
Please note that a full Access Northern Ireland check will need to be carried out upon acceptance of the role, and we will arrange this for you.
We're looking for individuals who are:
- good communicators
- reliable and punctual
- interested in volunteering in schools
- interested in cycling and walking
- able to engage and communicate well with children and young people
We need you to be available on week days during school hours. We ask volunteers to commit to one fortnightly activity, about 2 hours.
We ask that volunteers can ideally commit a minimum of 6 months.
Training and support offered
All volunteers will be required to:
- come to our group induction workshop
- complete initial training, including the NSPCC online Safeguarding Training, basic bike repairs
In addition we will offer:
- further training including Cycle Ride Leader, Cycle Trainer Assistant, Bike Maintenance and Outdoor First Aid
You'll also receive lots of support as a Schools Volunteer, such as:
- be supported at schools by the local Schools Officer and by our Volunteer Coordinator
- have agreed expenses reimbursed
Extra information - This role requires:
- An AccessNI check, we will arrange this for you
- 2 references
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: