Information about the project/role
The project aims to increase the number of children cycling to and from school, and in general to get more children cycling more often. We achieve this by working intensively with the pupils, staff and parents. We deliver fun and engaging activities, including cycle skills, Dr Bikes and maintenance workshops, bike rides, assemblies and classroom sessions.
We aim to double the cycling levels within the school and aim for 20% of the pupils cycling regularly. Volunteering with the schools team would lead to fun and engaging work and you will see visible benefits to the children immediately. By volunteering with us on this project, you will be helping us to deliver a greater number of activities in schools and help existing activities to be safe, enjoyable, positive experiences for the young people. With your support, we can get more families cycling and walking in Leicester.
Summary of tasks
School volunteers assist Sustrans schools officers in organising and delivering cycling activities within schools. Activities often include:
- Leading rides - organising and delivering a series of led rides in the local area
- Awareness raising - eg creating an information board, arranging travel advice clinics, producing and distributing promotional materials, giving talks and/or organising and running engagement activities, stands and events
- Bike maintenance - carrying out bike repairs
- Supporting Sustrans schools officers to deliver cycle sessions - for example, learn to cycle, cycle skills, cycle obstacle course and stabilisers free
- enjoys working with children
- enthusiastic about cycling and scooting for everyday journeys
- confident and experienced cyclist
- good communication skills
- good organisational skills
- qualification in bike maintenance (if carrying out bike maintenance tasks)
- a half day initially to attend induction and activity-specific training
- one hour per week or four hours per month (approximately) to support the organisation and delivery of activities - volunteers undertake three or more activities per term
- one to two days per year to attend training events
Most activities take place during the school day and in term time, so schools volunteers need to be available during these times. The specific timing of activities is determined by school diaries and class availability, so volunteering may take place at irregular times, days and intervals.
Training and support offered
Full induction, training and support is available for this role.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: