Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
As a schools volunteer, you will:
- make a difference in the health and wellbeing of young people
- help reduce congestion and pollution around schools
- be active, meet new people and give something back to your community
- receive free training and support
- gain experience in planning and running events.
What does a Sustrans school volunteer do?
As a schools volunteer you will ensure the safety and wellbeing of all involved in the temporary road closure. Other activities include:
- you will close and reopen the road safely, positioning signs and cones according to official guidelines. You will divert through traffic and guide drivers needing access if necessary
- you will run through a prepared questionnaire with parents, residents and road users to get their views on the temporary road closure
- you’ll talk to children, motorists, local residents and answer people’s questions about the road closure.
What we're looking for
We are looking for people who are:
- passionate about active travel
- excellent communicators with children, local residents and motorists
- enthusiastic and friendly
- punctual and reliable.
We're looking for someone to start on 22 February 2021 for 6 weeks.
Maximum: 2 hours per day, 5 days a week for 6 weeks.
Minimum: 1 hour per week for 6 weeks.
Training and support offered
You will receive a half-day training on how to carry out this role before you start. This training is compulsory and will cover a range of things including how to lift and carry signs/cones/barriers to close the road and how to answer some of the frequently-asked-questions by road users. Training will take place around mid-February.
You will be supervised and supported by a local Sustrans Project Officer.
For more information contact Rebekah Stevenson Rebekah.Stevenson@sustrans.org.uk
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: