Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Our volunteers are what make Sustrans special. They look after the National Cycle Network and support others to be more active.
They help people discover the joys of cycling by hosting led rides in their area. They teach children to ride a bike safely. And they run promotional stalls at local events.
Whatever the activity, Sustrans volunteers are making a real difference in their communities.
As a Sustrans volunteer, you’ll have access to resources and equipment to allow you to connect with people about sustainable travel.
What does a Sustrans pedal perks volunteer do?
The volunteer could be involved in:
- helping to produce and distribute promotional materials
- researching retailers that are bike-friendly and have Pedal Perk potential
- contacting and marketing new and existing Pedal Perks businesses (mainly by phone)
- promoting the Pedal Perks scheme to people who cycle and the general public
- promoting local travel options and the benefits of sustainable travel
- promoting the benefits of shopping by bike to retailers
- engaging members of the public to support current Sustrans campaigns.
What we're looking for
We're looking for someone that is:
- enthusiastic about sustainable travel
- willing to engage with business owners/staff and members of the public about sustainable travel
- a good communicator and telephone manner
- is motivated, acting as a source of support and motivation for others
- well organised
- able to cycle and preferably get about by cycling/ on foot or public transport
- IT literate with experience in using Microsoft Outlook and Excel.
Initially a minimum of two hours per week, up to a maximum of four days per month.
Training and support offered
- Induction session.
- One to two days per year to attend training events.
- Attend gatherings or evening meetings with your local volunteers.
- Networking opportunities with other volunteers.
- Regular communications to support you in your role.
- Your staff supervisor will also be available to help you develop your skills and abilities.
- Access to Sustrans’ policies and procedures.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: