Our volunteers in Telford are looking for some support in checking and maintaining the National Cycle Network in the area, including Route 45 between Little Wenlock and Upton Magna, Route 82 between Wellington and Upton Magna, and Route 55 between Telford and Coalport.
What does a Sustrans schools volunteer do?
As a volunteer ranger, you'll be expected to carry out agreed tasks from your local volunteer group plan. Some tasks may be organised by the whole group. Your tasks may include any of the following:
- inspect your route and any Sustrans land holdings
- check for missing or broken signs and fit temporary signs as per the signing guidance
- attend group workdays and signing rides
- carry out general tidy-ups and clear back overgrowing vegetation following our health and safety guidance
- look after any artwork or mileposts on your route
- report any major issues to your Sustrans volunteer coordinator.
What we're looking for
We welcome people with a wide range of skills including:
- being self-motivated to carry out tasks independently once directed
- working well within a team
- having good communication skills
- able to motivate others and lead by example
- above all, enthusiasm and commitment.
You should check your section of route once a month and report this to your group coordinator.
Communication is essential to your role, so we ask that you attend group meetings and activities to keep up-to-date with local developments and your group's plan.
Training and support offered
- The group coordinator and Sustrans volunteer coordinator will offer you all the support you need to carry out your role.
- An initial training and induction session will be provided in your region.
- Sustrans organises a number of days throughout the year which will offer valuable updates, networking opportunities with other volunteers, and training in relevant skills.
- You will receive regular communications to support you in your role and can join our online community to find support from other volunteers.
- Sustrans has an online training platform which you can access at any time for further advice and guidance
- Health and safety guidelines and simple risk assessments will be provided.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: