Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Becoming a volunteer will give you the opportunity to make a difference in your community. You’ll learn new skills and build on existing ones with the support of Sustrans staff.
Together we'll encourage more people to cycle and walk, help them with advice and information, share an enthusiasm for being outside and engage with a variety of people while helping to promote a leading UK charity.
What does a Sustrans E-Move volunteer do?
The E-Move project is an electric cycle loan scheme for residents of Aberystwyth, Rhyl, Barry, Swansea and Newtown.
It is a pilot project funded by Welsh Government that gives people in these areas the opportunity to try an e-cycle for up to four weeks for free.
E-Move offers people the chance to try a healthy, sustainable and affordable way to travel for local journeys.
The E-Move volunteer role is a new role that can be adapted to the skills and interests of volunteers in each location. The role may include:
- basic bike maintenance of the e-bikes and e-cargo bikes before and after loans
- collecting and delivering e-bikes and e-cargo bikes to introduction sessions, events and for the start and end of loans
- supporting project officers with e-bike introduction sessions
- accompanying e-bike loan participants on short rides to build confidence
- support E-Move participants with route planning and using their bike and equipment
- assist project offices with events and activities to promote the E-Move project
- inspire and give confidence to E-Move participants as they get to know their e-bike.
What we're looking for
We’re looking for people who:
- have good communication and organisational skills
- enjoy being out and about on their cycle and want to help others to do the same
- are approachable, friendly and patient
- use a cycle for regular everyday journeys in their local area and are familiar with local routes
- have knowledge of basic cycle upkeep (or are willing to learn).
The following is an outline of the time commitment for this role:
- A half-day to attend induction and activity-specific training.
- Approximately six hours per month - talk to us about how much time you have to give.
We suggest starting with a one-month trial, but the role will be ongoing for 3-6 months if agreed by both parties.
Training and support offered
- Access to an online learning platform
- Option to join online networks
- Support from your local staff supervisor and volunteer coordinator
- Specific training for your role - this could include bike maintenance, ride leader or route planning.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: