As this popular area expands, we’re working with different communities in Wokingham Borough to get more people walking and cycling.
We need your help to support the local community to get around quickly, efficiently and actively - whether to work, to school, on other everyday journeys or getting into the countryside.
Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
There are lots of benefits to volunteering with Sustrans:
- use existing skills and experience to make a positive impact on another person’s health and wellbeing
- develop new skills and discover new talents doing practical tasks.
What does a Sustrans community volunteer do?
We need friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to support the community activities we run such as:
- assisting at one of our very popular Balance Bike sessions
- encouraging and supporting adults at a bike confidence course
- showing new residents local cycling and walking routes at a community centre event
- supporting a led walk for residents in new housing development so they get to know the local walking routes and shortcuts
- helping out at a school holiday Bike Skills course
- setting up a smoothie bike at a local festival to make bike-powered smoothies.
What we're looking for
We welcome people with a wide range of skills but above all enthusiasm and commitment plus.
Some of the things we're looking for include:
- people-focused and comfortable talking to adults and children
- practical to help set up sessions
- local so you know about the area
- mobile so you can support our events in communities throughout the Borough from Earley to Finchampstead, Arborfield to Wokingham.
- reliable and punctual as you’ll be an essential member of our team.
- walk and/or cycle everyday journeys so you understand the challenges and benefits of active travel.
You will be helping out at an event once a month. This will take 3-4 hours plus time to complete our online Activity Report. There will be plenty of chances to help out with other promotions and activities if you'd like to.
Training and support offered
- You’ll receive our volunteer handbook and do our basic Sustrans volunteer online training.
- Our project officer will provide specific training for the events as well as ongoing advice and support.
- Join the online community to find support from other volunteers throughout the UK.
- Come along to Sustrans volunteer meet-ups to network, get updates and training.
- Go to our volunteer website for information and resources including ideas on how to get more people walking and cycling.
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: