As a volunteer you can choose which volunteering activities you organise or take part in. Activities could include:
- holding an information stand to promote Sustrans and walking and cycling in the area
- creating an information display
- arranging activities such as ‘bling your bike’, bike breakfasts or smoothie bike sessions
- arranging travel advice sessions
- giving a talk or organising for someone to give a talk
- producing and distributing promotional materials
If you have your own ideas the support team can work with you to develop them.
You would be expected to work with your Group Coordinator or other Sustrans staff to identify locations where Sustrans could run activities or have a stand.
You can then begin planning the delivery of these activities including obtaining the relevant permissions, completing risk assessments, gather together materials and equipment, and set up and run the stand or activity with at least one other person.
We're looking for individuals who are:
- enthusiastic about sustainable travel
- willing to engage with members of the public about sustainable travel
- good communicators
- good motivators, acting as a source of support and motivation for others
- well organised
- All volunteers are requested to attend a half day or evening induction to Sustrans within the first 6 months of volunteering
- As a minimum, check in with your volunteer Group Coordinator or Sustrans staff every three months
- Communication is essential to your role so you must take the time to attend group meetings and activities to keep up to date with local developments and your group plan
Training and support offered
- You will have the opportunity to attend your annual regional or national volunteer day which will include valuable Sustrans updates, networking opportunities and provide core skills training
- You’ll receive central communications to support you in your role and can join our online community to find support in other volunteers across the UK
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: