Why become a Sustrans volunteer?
Want to support your community?
Looking to spend more time outdoors?
Interested in meeting new people?
Volunteering for Sustrans will help you with all the above.
What does a Sustrans active travel champion do?
We want to support communities to travel in a more active way, either by walking, cycling or wheeling. We want to share our knowledge and message with other groups and at events so we can make sure everyone knows the benefits.
Active travel champions will be advocates for active travel with other community groups and at events. They will speak to the public about the benefits of active travel and will help represent Sustrans in a positive and enthusiastic way.
As an active travel champion, you will:
- work with the local group coordinator to attend events and deliver activities such as vegetation clearance or led walks
- learn and share knowledge about active travel at events and with other groups
- follow health and safety guidance provided by Sustrans
- advocate for Sustrans when volunteering.
We are open to your ideas about how you might be willing to support us.
What we're looking for
We'd love it if you were:
- comfortable communicating about active travel with others
- understanding and able to abide by health and safety practices
- willing to learn more about active travel and our work
- friendly and able to advocate for Sustrans where possible.
If you're unsure about any of the above, we're happy to help you develop these skills where we can.
Flexible. Usually one day a month to attend an event or activity.
Training and support offered
- Equipment and resources to support your volunteering
- Virtual and spoken training
- Access to webinars and discussions on active travel and Sustrans' work
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Online community of volunteers to discuss opportunities
- Support and guidance from our volunteer coordinator
Safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
Our Safeguarding Statement sets out Sustrans’ organisational commitment to safeguarding best practice.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at Sustrans
Sustrans is committed to representing the diverse communities we work with, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. We value equality and inclusiveness and believe that a diverse organisation brings with it a diversity of ideas and ways of working which strengthens everything we do.
For more information contact: