We empower communities to reimagine streets and public spaces to make them feel safer, more attractive places to live, work and travel through.
Funded by Scottish Government, we work in partnership with local authorities and communities through a collaborative design process to develop ideas that improve neighbourhoods and urban areas. By involving local residents and groups from the start, we create stronger communities and outline designs that reflect the aspirations of the community.
What Street Design achieves
We aim to:
- Increase the number of people walking, cycling and scooting for more of their everyday journeys
- Engage with communities and stakeholders to redesign streets and public spaces
- Make streets and public spaces feel safer, more attractive and sociable.
- Showcase best practice to inspire other groups and organisations
We develop outline designs that the Local Authority can progress to detailed design and construction with support from Sustrans Community Links Funding Programme.
Street Design Application Process 2018/19
Please note applications have now closed for the Street Design Programme 2018/2019 and will reopen from January 2019 for next year’s programme.
Interested organisations will be able to submit a proposal for a Street Design project in their area via our online application portal open from January 2019 by going to https://scotlandportal.sustrans.org.uk.
For more information on the Street Design Programme, please download the following documents from this year’s application process:
- Offer- Document A: sets out what Street Design is, what we do and produce, and brief case studies of past projects
- Criteria- Document B: sets out the essential criteria for applicants
- Guide- Document C: provides detailed information on the online application form
Our work so far
“ “Now it’s got a different feel to the street and everybody’s out putting plants in their garden and it’s looking pretty.”– Local business owner, Dumfries, Neighbourhood Street Design Project ”
The Street Design team have worked in areas across Scotland including East and West Dunbartonshire, Moray, Fife and Dumfries and Galloway.
We have also been working in larger urban areas with completed works in The Cowgate, Kirkintilloch and Stirling Road, Dunblane. These projects have been developed in partnership with local authorities, community groups and stakeholders.
This year we have chosen two projects from the 2018/19 Street Design Application Process in Aberdeen and Glasgow. You can find out more about these on our website over the next few months.
If you'd like to find out more about some of our previous projects, visit:
Lenzie Street Design project
Sinclairtown Street Design project
Stirling Road, Access for All project, Dunblane
Cowgate Street Design project
Pathhead Street Design project