- From - to: Southport to Penistone via Liverpool and Stockport.
- Distance: 96 miles, mostly traffic-free
- Type: Largely traffic free
This section of the Trans Pennine Trail travels from Southport to Barnsley. The Trail travels south-east through Liverpool before turning east and following the River Mersey through Widnes and on through Warrington, Sale and Stockport before beginning to ascend the Pennines through Hyde and Hadfield. The Trail continues to climb along the dramatic and rugged Longdendale Valley in the Peak District National Park, ending at the Trail's highest point on Woodhead Pass. A swift descent follows to the market town of Penistone and then Barnsley to the halfway point at RSPB Old Moor.
Although signed as part of the National Cycle Network, the Trans Pennine Trail is a separately managed and funded project. The Trans Pennine Trail Project have published 3 maps to the Trail. The Western section includes the Liverpool Loop line and the Cheshire Lines path and passes through the Peak District National park.
Further information is available on the Trans Pennine Trail website.
- Trans Pennine Trail East, Yorkshire - North Sea
- Trans Pennine Trail Central, Derbyshire and Yorkshire
- Trans Pennine Trail West, Irish Sea- Yorkshire
- The Peak District Cycle Map
- Lancashire Cycle Map
Recommended sections for families
- Liverpool Loopline - A popular traffic free, wildlife route running from Halewood to Aintree and onto Southport on the Cheshire lines path.
- Penistone to Dunford Bridge - This beautiful, traffic-free ride takes you from the busy market town of Penistone to the rolling moors of the Peak District at Dunford Bridge. Fully surfaced, and so ideal for children, the path follows the route of the old Great Central Railway
This route contains a Sustrans Greener Greenway
This section of the Trans Pennine Trail travels between Southport and Penistone via Liverpool and Stockport. The Western section includes the Liverpool Loop line and the Cheshire Lines path and passes through the Peak District National park.