- Start/Finish: Skipton Train Station
- Distance: The return journey is 14 miles, 7 miles each way. This is approximately 2.5 hours
- Terrain: Quiet country road. Hilly in places
- National Cycle Network: National Route 696
- Access: Skipton and Bolton Abbey Train Stations
This dramatic ride takes you east from the bustling market town of Skipton with its impressive Castle and regular outdoor market, along quiet lanes through beautiful countryside, ending at the magnificent ruins of Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales. Please note that there are some hills on route.
To follow the route:
- Exit Skipton Station, turn right, follow the main street to the top of the town, and at the roundabout bear right. After 0.5 miles turn left on the road signed Embsay. After 1 mile enter the village of Embsay with its historic steam railway, climb the hill past the Railway, and turn right at the village shop and post office.
- Follow signs to Bolton Abbey along quiet country lanes with scenic views all the way!
- There are a number of tourist attractions on the route, including the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway, Yorkshire Dales Ice Cream Farm, Hesketh Farm Park, and, of course, Bolton Abbey Estate itself with the Abbey and the River Wharfe Valley passing through the famous Strid Gorge.
- Enjoy the magnificent ruins, stunning natural setting, river walks, stepping stones, cafes and picnic spots at Bolton Abbey Estate.
- Retrace the route back to Skipton.
- An alternative is to return using the Steam Railway! Cycle along the bridleway opposite the Devonshire Arms leading to Bolton Abbey Station. Part of the route can then be covered by train to Embsay Station and by bike from Embsay to Skipton. Bikes are welcome on the train.
Things to see and do
- Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway
- Yorkshire Dales Ice Cream Farm
- Hesketh Farm Park
- Bolton Abbey Estate
- River Wharfe Valley passing through the famous Strid Gorge
This area map shows the National Cycle Network and local routes in this area.
This dramatic ride takes you east from the bustling market town of Skipton with its impressive Castle and regular outdoor market, along quiet lanes through beautiful countryside, ending at the magnificent ruins of Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales.