1. Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury
Route 81 runs from Aberystwyth to Wolverhampton, with the section running through Wales called Lôn Cambria. Lôn Cambria travels 113 miles from the coast at Aberystwyth to the historic border town of Shrewsbury, crossing the heart of beautiful Mid Wales through the Cambrian mountains and alongside the beautiful Elan Valley reservoirs to Rhayader. With red kites soaring above, the route follows quiet lanes linking the picturesque market towns of Llanidloes, Newton and Welshpool. A final climb on the Roman Road over Long Mountain offers panoramic views before descending into Shrewsbury.
2. Shrewsbury to Albrighton
Shropshire Council has produced free leaflets covering the section of the route which passes through Shropshire:
- Shrewsbury to Wellington - Make tracks alongside the river and old canal, and take time to enjoy a slower pace of life as you cycle this scenic route (13 miles).
- Wellington to Albrighton - Explore Shropshire's contrasting historic villages and industrial new town. Make time for plane spotting at the RAF Museum, Cosford (16 miles)
Distance: 143 miles
Type: On road, with some challenging sections
Things to see and do
- National Library, Aberystwyth
- Elan Valley Visitor Centre
- Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway
- Powis Castle
- Shrewsbury Abbey
- Attingham Park, Shrewsbury
Free Maps and Leaflets
Map shows the National Cycle Network and local routes in this area.
National Route 81 connects Aberystwyth and Wolverhampton via Shrewsbury and Telford.