Stockton and Central Bedfordshire Local Authorities were keen to address high levels of short commuting trips by car, chronic congestion levels on main roads and high emissions. Both areas also recognised that there was a real need to promote walking and cycling to encourage local people to achieve their recommended levels of physical activity. They felt that a lack of information about where to cycle, and a lack of skills or confidence were stopping people from walking and cycling more.
Sustrans worked with a range of local partners to offer a ‘one stop shop’, where residents can get information on how to travel affordably and sustainably.
“ The Hub and staff have changed my life. It’s so much easier than driving and everyone in the office notices how much more ‘smiley’ I am. ”
The Hubs provide a range of advice on how to reduce short car journeys, including:
- personalised travel information
- bike maintenance
- cycle training, guided rides and walks
- discounted bikes and scooters
- monthly ‘bus clinics’ with advice and information on bus travel
- programme of school, family activities and community outreach festivals and fun days.
Experienced staff and volunteers created an inspiring and inclusive environment, which created the go to place for walking and cycle related support for local communities.
The Hubs have demonstrated that promoting the benefits of being physically active by providing a range of information materials and support in a prominent physical presence works to change the way people travel. The location of the HUBs has played a key part in their success, enabling people to be able to easily drop in for local travel advice and information.
- 12% increase in cycling to work or study
- 1,830 members of the Hub
- 9% decrease in car commuting
Central Bedfordshire Hub:
- 12 schools linked to Hub via Schools Officer
- 5,000 resident Hub visits
- 30 Active Travel Champion volunteers
Find out how we’re transforming local communities UK-wide, and making it easier for millions of people to walk and cycle for their everyday journeys.
Email: [email protected]