Good signage is an essential part of any cycle route and great care must be taken when considering their design and placement. They must provide clear, reliable information and at the same time must be appropriate and sensitive to their environment.
A balance must be struck between sufficient signage and the visual clutter and maintenance liability that signing can cause. Surface markings may provide a useful alternative to post mounted signs.
Our design guide includes:
- legal information
- directional signs
- instructions for cyclists
- signing shared use areas
- rural signs
- thermoplastic and painted markings
- diversions / temporary signing.
Other Sustrans guidance
Other external guidance:
- Department for Transport, Accessible transport guidance
- Transport for London, Cycling Design Standards
- Welsh Active Travel Act guidance