All new developments, whether residential, business, industrial, health, leisure or education related will generate travel. New developments and regeneration schemes offer an opportunity to provide networks of high quality infrastructure that encourage cycling and walking.
For more than 20 years, Planning Policy Guidance (or PPG) has urged developers to give greater consideration to walking and cycling, with more thought given to creating continuous and coherent routes for non-motorised modes of transport.
Cycling in new developments (draft), Design Manual Chapter 10 (2.8MB pdf)
Our design guide offers expert information about:
- Planning requirements and development control
- Residential developments
- Employment and industrial parks
- Retail and leisure developments
- Public buildings
- Transport improvement schemes
Other Sustrans guidance:
Other external guidance:
- Department for Transport, Manual for Streets
- Transport for London, Cycling Design Standards
- CIHT, Technical guidelines and publications
- Scottish Government, Designing Streets, 2010