To help kick-start a healthier, greener commute we're promoting the UK’s biggest cycle commuting event, ‘Cycle to Work Day', on Wednesday 15 August with a number of activities to get people on their bicycles.
Belfast city centre activities
In Belfast city centre, we are taking over four car park spaces outside Clarence Court, Department for Infrastructure offices, from 8am to 2pm with a City Cycle Stop.
The aim is to rethink car park spaces and offer incentives to people cycling to work. For example, an average 14 bikes can fit in a single car park space.
There will be vouchers for breakfast snacks from 8am and a range of activities open to the general public from 10am:
- Mech Monkey, bike mechanic will be doing some light bike servicing.
- Get your bike registered with the Police Service of Northern Ireland Bike Register to help identify your bike if it gets stolen.
- Get a free smoothie courtesy of our smoothie bike – you could even make one yourself and feel better about the calories!
- Talk to Sustrans staff and volunteers about route planning and advice on cycling to work.
- Find out about the new Cycle-friendly Employer Accreditation Scheme, and get your employer or business to sign up.
- Watch local artist Friz work live on the street to produce a cycling-related piece of art.
- Enter a free raffle for a chance to win Marks & Spencer vouchers and other prizes.
- See our new Streetkit and find out how it can be used to reimagine a car park space or your street.
Sustrans Active Travel Officer, Workplaces, Patricia Magee said:
“Many people think that they would like to try cycling to work. Cycle to Work Day on 15 August is a UK-wide initiative to really encourage people to give it a go. We have lots of tips on our website and we’ll be available in person at the City Cycle Stop for a chat, information and some freebies.”
We deliver a workplace programme called Leading the Way, funded by the Public Health Agency (PHA), across a number of public sector organisations in Belfast and Derry~Londonderry to encourage staff to travel actively on their commute.
Other activities happening across Northern Ireland
- In Strabane there will be a Sustrans information stand at the Alley Theatre between 12pm and 3pm on 15 August with freebies, a quiz with prizes and information on the North West Greenway Network plan.
- There are a number of ‘Leading the Way’ workplace activities in the north west: A Bike to Work breakfast and Dr Bike event for staff at Derry City and Strabane District Council. Staff from the Western Health & Social Care Trust and PHA can enter a Cycling to work ‘selfie’ competition
- As part of the CHIPS project in east Belfast, there will be on-road cycle training courses from the Active Travel Hub in C.S. Lewis Square on 14 & 15 August, beginners and adult courses. Call 028 90738513 or book online to reserve your place.
For further information/interviews contact: