About the role
We want all Londoners to live in a city where our streets and public spaces serve everyone. A London where everyone can live and travel safely and healthily, and where nobody is excluded.
To reach our ambition, we are looking for a principal engineer who can provide technical leadership to our built environment team, working with London’s communities to deliver outstanding public realm schemes.
By leading on projects and programmes, influencing senior decision-makers, providing quality assurance and upskilling colleagues, you will help us in our vision to allow everyone to travel in ways that benefit their health and wellbeing; creating healthier, happier cities that are accessible to all.
What our staff have to say:
"Sustrans is unlike anywhere else I've worked. As a charity, we are uniquely placed to support, but also challenge key decision-makers in transforming London's streets and public spaces. My colleagues are incredibly inspiring, and I love working with them: whether we're doing design sprints or sharing emerging best practice, everyone supports each other to grow and develop. Day to day, you will be leading on complex projects, reviewing drawings, providing training, or shaping our business development offer, ensuring we can maximise our impact in the city" - Giulio Ferrini, Head of Built Environment, London.
We are looking for a principal engineer who is passionate about creating healthy streets, with experience of leading ambitious public realm programmes through all design stages, from inception to construction. You should have obtained chartered status from a professional institution, or have similar equivalent experience.
You will have experience of influencing clients, growing strategic relationships with partners and supporting colleagues develop personally and technically by providing formal and informal training.
We hope to find an empathetic leader who is used to managing diverse teams, meeting individuals’ needs and creating an inclusive, welcoming environment centred around well-being.
We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups in the built environment professions. Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 13 June
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams during the w/c 20 June
- 26 days leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working.
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Staff volunteer days.
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service.
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans.
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans.
- Discount benefits.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay.
- Flexible Working practices (full-time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday).
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
We welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, particularly where we are under-represented.
Currently, this includes people who identify as having a disability, and those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups.
For more information contact: